--The History of the Future--
October 10-11, 2014
Winthrop Professor of History and Professor of African and African American Studies, Harvard University
The Graduate History Association at Washington University in St. Louis is pleased to announce this year’s Graduate Conference on the History of the Future, to be held October 10th-11th on the Danforth Campus in St. Louis, Missouri.
In recent years, historians have become increasingly interested in the hopes, fears, and foresight of the people they study. By addressing what historical actors considered inevitable or desirable, critical insight is often gained into the way certain conceptions of “the future” became realizable while others did not. As the History of the Future evolves into a viable category of historical analysis, however, we aim to broaden the scope of inquiry beyond its current confines.
Professor Walter Johnson, renowned historian of slavery, capitalism, and imperialism at Harvard University, will deliver the keynote address. Please join us for an open reception immediately following in Busch 18.
Panels will be delivered on Friday, October 10th and Saturday, October 11th. There will be an award for best conference paper with a cash prize.
Summary of events:
Friday, October 10
- 8:30-5:00 Panels TBA
- Keynote Address: Professor Walter Johnson, Winthrop Professor of History and Professor of African and African American Studies, Harvard University
Saturday, October 11
- 8:30-5:00 Panels TBA
This conference would not have been possible without the generous co-sponsorship of:
- American Culture Studies
- Center for the Humanities
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Art History and Archaeology
- Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Department of English
- Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
- Department of History
- International & Area Studies
- Jewish, Islamic & Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
- Legal Studies Program
- Law, Identity, and Culture Initiative
2014 Graduate Conference Faculty Advisors
- Jean Allman, Professor and Chair, Department of History, Washington University in St. Louis
- Shefali Chandra, Associate Professor, Department of History, International and Area Studies Program, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Washington University in St. Louis
- Dale Kretz (email@example.com), GHA Conference Chair, Washington University in St. Louis