This page provides information about various aspects of the St. Louis area, including details about the communities, attractions, and businesses near Washington University. In addition, we have provided links to St. Louis metro attractions, shopping, lodging, transportation, and dining information. We hope these resources will help provide an overview of the St. Louis area.
St. Louis is located in east-central Missouri, nestled between the Missouri River to the west and the Mississippi River (and the State of Illinois) to the east. Chicago is located approximately five hours to the northeast, while Kansas City is four hours west. Memphis is about four to five hours southeast of St. Louis.
In St. Louis, you'll find plenty of things to see and do; the Fox Theatre hosts major Broadway shows and other traveling performances throughout the year, while big-name performing artists visit The Pageant and UMB Bank Pavilion regularly. You'll also find major league baseball (Cardinals), NFL football (Rams), and NHL hockey (Blues).
In addition, Washington University and St. Louis offer a variety of transportation options to help you get to and from campus, or to locations throughout the community.
In addition to providing general information about the City of Clayton and its administration, this website includes a link to information about nightlife (including shopping, restaurants, and other businesses) and public art and art venues in the Clayton community.
- Shop Clayton: Includes links to hotels, restaurants, shopping venue, and other business services in the Clayton area.
- St. Louis Galleria: The St. Louis Galleria is the mall closest to the Washington University campus. A full directory of stores is available online.
- The Galleria Six Cinemas is located on the food court level. Galleria Six Cinemas
Forest Park is located across the street from the Danforth (Hilltop) Campus on the east side. The park was home to the 1904 World's Fair, and currently includes miles of running trails, open spaces, and St. Louis staples such as the St. Louis Art Museum, the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Science Center, the Missouri History Museum, and the Muny, the nation's oldest outdoor amphitheatre. In addition, the park boasts a golf course, boating, and - in the summers - Shakespeare in the Park.
University City is located just north of Washington University; because of its proximity to campus, many graduate students live in this area. The Loop contains a variety of restaurants and entertainment options, including The Pageant Theatre (live shows) and theThe Tivoli (film).
Central West End
The Central West End borders Forest Park on the east. Located close to the Barnes Jewish Medical Complex and the Washington University School of Medicine, the Central West End is home to many different shops and dining options.
- St. Louis Regional Chamber and Growth Association: This website contains information about life in St. Louis, including quality of life, cost of living, climate, education, and healthcare.
- City of St. Louis: AdministrativeIncludes administrative information for the City of St. Louis, as well as links to resources about the St. Louis community.
- Explore St. Louis: As "the official travel portal for St. Louis," this website includes detailed information about attractions and things to do in the St. Louis metro area.
- Riverfront Times: The Riverfront Times is St. Louis' independent, alternative weekly newspaper. It is distributed free of charge to various businesses and locations throughout the metro area.
- St. Louis Front Page: Includes news, events, and various resources about St. Louis events, attractions, and living.
- St. Louis Metropolitan Interactive Map: Allows users to identify resources in specific areas of St. Louis.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is the primary news publication for the St. Louis metro area.
- St. Louis American: The leading voice of the area’s African-American community and the single largest independent newspaper in Missouri.
- St. Louis Hotels: Provides a guide to St. Louis hotels, separated by geographic area. The Clayton Business District and Forest Park directory lists lodging options closest to the Washington University campuses (Danforth and Medical School).
- Central West End
- Downtown St. Louis
- The Hill (Italian Restaurants)
- Riverfront Times Restaurant Guide
- University City
- Campus transportation: Washington University maintains several shuttle routes for student, faculty, and staff use. Shuttles between the Danforth (Hilltop) Campus and the Medical School in the Central West End, and also provide transportation to the St. Louis Galleria and the Brentwood shopping centers. In addition, all full-time students and staff are eligible for the free U-Pass, which allows the holder to utilize any MetroBusMetro bus or MetroLinkMetrolink transportation options at no charge.
- Car Rental Directory: Lists car rental companies in the St. Louis area.
- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport: The Lambert-St. Louis International Airport is located approximately 15 to 20 minutes from campus. The airport may be reached by car or by MetroLink; currently, the nearest MetroLinkMetrolink station on a direct route to is the airport is located on Delmar; however, the MetroLink cross-county expansion provides connections from Washington University to the main line going to the airport Loop location.
- Metro St. Louis (MetroBus and MetroLink): Metro St. Louis maintains MetroBus and MetroLink, the two largest public transportation options in St. Louis. Metro St. Louis maintains MetroBus and MetroLink, the two largest public transportation options in St. Louis. MetroBus stops are available all around the Washington University campuses, and the new MetroLink stationa Metrolink expansion will soon be completed, providing students with easy access from stops adjacent to the Danforth (Hilltop) campus location; the current MetroLink also route includes a stop in near the Washington University School of Medicine (on a separate route). Please note that all full-time Washington University students and staff are eligible for the U-Pass, which allows the bearer to utilize any Metro St. Louis transportation options at no charge.
- Taxi Companies: A directory of St. Louis taxi companies.
Washington University - Select St. Louis Area Resources
Washington University maintains a compilation of links to various St. Louis resources on this webpage, including local news, lodging, movie theatres, museums, restaurants, performing arts, shopping, sports, transportation, weather, and other attractions. Select attractions and resources are also listed below.
- Fox Theatre
- Laclede's Landing
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Repertory Theatre of St. Louis
- St. Louis Blues (NHL Hockey)
- St. Louis Cardinals (Major League Baseball)
- St. Louis Rams (NFL Football)
- St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
- Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (Earth City)
Major Shopping Chains in the St. Louis Area
Area malls and shopping centers include such venues as the Mac Store, Dillard's, JC Penney's, Sears, Borders, and Barnes and Noble. Banking options are varied;, with a Bank of America facility located on campus and; other major banks in St. Louis include U.S. Bank and Commerce Bank.
In addition, these are the major grocery and retail chains in the metropolitan area:
- Dierbergs: One of the major grocery chains in St. Louis, the closest Dierbergs location is in Brentwood, south of campus near I-170 and U.S. Highway 40-64.
- Schnucks: There are two Schnucks grocery stores near Washington University; the first is on Olive Boulevard, just north of The Loop. The other store is in Clayton, at the intersection of Ladue Road and I-170.
- Target: The Target location nearest to campus is located in the Brentwood shopping plaza at I-170 and U.S. Highway 40-64.
- Trader Joe's: Locations in Brentwood, Chesterfield, and Creve Coeur.
- Walgreens: The nearest Walgreens facility is located on the corner of Clayton Road and Big Bend Boulevard, south of campus.
- Whole Foods: The nearest Whole Foods is located near the St. Louis Galleria mall, in the Brentwood Square shopping plaza just south of U.S. Highway 40-64.
- Kohls: Kohl's is a family-focused, value-oriented, specialty department store offering quality exclusive and national brand merchandise to the customer in an environment that is convenient, friendly and exciting. Kohl's has over 1,000 stores in 49 states.
Farmer's Markets in St. Louis
This page lists information about farmer's markets in the St. Louis area. Both Close to campus are the Clayton Farmer's Market and The Loop Market are close to campus.
St. Louis Malls
- Chesterfield Mall (Chesterfield, MO)
- Crestwood Plaza (St. Louis, MO)
- Mid Rivers Mall (St. Peters, MO)
- Northwest Plaza (St. Ann, MO)
- Plaza Frontenac (St. Louis, MO)
- St. Louis Galleria (Clayton, MO)
- St. Louis Mills (Hazelwood, MO)
- St. Louis Union Station (Downtown St. Louis)
- West County Centre (Des Peres, MO)