About Phi Alpha Theta
Washington University's chapter of Phi Alpha Theta is committed to furthering undergraduate scholarship in the field of history, while also creating a center for intellectual exchange for members as well as faculty and graduate students. The organization is centered around professional development, historical excursions and outings, and opportunities to engage with history more deeply in a non-classroom environment.
In addition to semesterly meetings, programming, and academic opportunities, Phi Alpha Theta also publishes the Gateway History Journal, a volume of premier undergraduate scholarship from Washington University and the greater midwestern region.
Phi Alpha Theta is open to anyone who has completed twelve credit hours of history and has maintained am minimum 3.5 GPA in history, and a minimum 3.3 GPA overall. Preference is given to history majors and minors. If you are interested in joining Phi Alpha Theta, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The current Phi Alpha Theta executive board for the 2016-2017 academic year is:
- President: Sarah Heintz
- Editor in Chief, Gateway History Journal: Rachel Multz
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Sowande Mustakeem email@example.com
Benefits of Phi Alpha Theta Membership
Membership in Phi Alpha Theta carries many benefits to members. Included are:
- Closer relationships with professors who will be able to speak more to your work as a true scholar of history.
- Professional and intellectual development opportunities, such as thesis advisor meet-and-greets, resume and coverletter workshops, and grad school application workshops.
- Access to an extensive alumni network.
- Free or subsidized history-related programming, such as trips to the haunted Lemp Mansion, movies and dinners, and shows.
- Opportunities for further scholarship, including scholarships, fellowships, and research positions.
- Honors at graduation.
Joining Phi Alpha Theta
Phi Alpha Theta accepts applicants each semester. If you have any questions or are interested in joining Phi Alpha Theta, please contact Sarah Heintz or Dr. Sowande' Mustakeem for more information.